Areas of Interest:
- Internal and International Migration, and Remittances
- Human Capital Investment
- Informal Sector
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Southampton, UK. 1994
- M.A., Economics, The American University in Cairo, 1990
- B.A., Economics, The American University in Cairo, 1986
- Professor of Economics, University of Southampton, 2012-present
- Associate Professor (Reader) in Economics, University of Southampton, 2006-2012
- Co-leader of Migration Research, ESRC Centre for Population Change at University of Southampton, 2008-present
- Head of Economics Teaching, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton, 2007-2008
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Migration, Entrepreneurship and Social Capital. Regional Science and Urban Economics (Co-authored with Yves Zenou) forthcoming.
- The Impact of Labour Market Dynamics on the Return-Migration of Immigrants”, IZA Discussion Paper No. 5722, May 2011 (Co-authored with G. Bijwaard and C. Schluter).
- An Overview of Internal and International Migration in Egypt, in R. Assaad (ed) Egypt’s Labor Market Revisited, Ch. 5. The American University in Cairo Press, 2009.
- Informality in Egypt: a stepping stone or a dead end? ERF working paper 456, 2009.
J6. Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
By Jackline Wahba, Professor of Economics at the University of Southampton and