Areas of Interest:
- Political Economy of the Middle East
- Development and Growth in Africa
- Financial Flows and Trade – domestic and global issues
- M.Sc. and PhD., Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 1979-1984.
- B.Sc., Economics, University of Montreal, 1979.
- Chair Arab World, Paris Sciences et Lettres, visiting researcher at the Paris School of Economics, 2015 -present
- Director for Africa and the Middle East, Center for International Development, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Harvard University, 2011-2014
- Country Director, Ethiopia and Sudan (2002-2007), Ghana, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone, World Bank, 2007-2011
- Manager Economic Policy for Poverty Reduction, World Bank Institute, 1996-2002
· Middle East Economies in Transition. Editors, Ishac Diwan and Ahmad Galal. International Economic Association Series under the direction of Joseph Stiglitz. Palgrave, 2016.
· A Political Economy of the Middle East, Melani Cammett, Ishac Diwan, Alan Richards, and John Waterbury. Fourth Edition, Westview Press, 2015
· After The Arab Spring: Political and Economic Transformations in the Arab World. Editor. World Scientific. 2014.
· Crony Capitalism in Egypt. Journal of Globalization and Development (2015). With Hamouda Chekir