Areas of Interest:
- Political Economy of Policy Reform
- Public Policy and Economic Development
- Youth Exclusion and Labor Markets
- Ph.D., Economics, Harvard University, USA, 1997
- B.Sc., Mathematics, University of Oregon, 1989
- B.Sc., Economics, Summa Cum Laude, 1989
- Senior Fellow, Global Economy & Development, and Director, Brookings Doha Center – Present
- Member, Board of Directors, Arab Banking Corporation – 2015-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Central Bank of Libya – 2011-present
- Member, Global Agenda Council on the Arab World, World Economic Forum – 2011-present
- Chief Executive Officer, Silatech, 2011-2015
- Founding Dean, Dubai School of Government, 2007-2011
- Al-Sabah Chair in Arab Studies and Associate Professor of Economics, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, 1998-2008
- Visiting Senior Economist, Middle East and North Africa Region, World Bank, 2002-2004
- Economist, International Monetary Fund, 1996-1998
- “The Lessons of Experience,” with Robert Beschel, forthcoming in Public Sector Reform in the Middle East and North Africa: Lessons of Experience for a Region in Transition. Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2017.
- Generation Awakening: Middle East Youth on the Eve of the Arab Spring. London: Oxford University Press, 2016. Co-editor with Ward Sayre.
- “Public Sector Reform,” with Robert Beschel, in The Middle East Economies in Times of Transition, in I. Diwan and A. Galal, editors. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, pp. 259-278.
- The Economics of Authoritarianism in North Africa,” with Raj M. Desai and Anders Olofsgård, in the Oxford Handbook of Africa and Economics, Celestin Monga and Justin Lin, editors. London: Oxford University Press, 2015, pp. 675-688.
- After the Spring: Economic Transition in the Arab World. London: Oxford University Press, 2012. Contributor.
There are no Upcoming Events
There are no Articles found