Areas of Interest:
- Economic development and growth in the MENA region with special reference to Iran, UAE and Saudi Arabia
- Human resources and labor markets
- Population policy and demographic transition in the Middle East
- Inclusive growth in MENA region
- Economics of Arab uprisings
- D.Phil., Sussex University, UK, 1987 – Dissertation Title: Structural Transformation & Labour Transfer in Iran’s Economic Development, 1900-1979
- M.Phil., Development Studies, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, UK, 1980
- B.Sc., Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, University of London, UK, 1977
- Director, London Middle East Institute (LMEI); Reader, Economics Department, SOAS (University of London), Feb 2010- present
- Senior Lecturer in Economics, Faculty of Finance, Cass Business School, City University London.
- Senior Lecturer in Economics, Faculty of Finance, Cass Business School, City University London, 2002-2010
- Associate Dean, Cass Business School – Oversight and leadership of international partnership/off-campus programmes delivering innovative, modular Executive, 2003 – 2007
- Senior Lecturer in Economics, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 1995-2002
- Routledge Handbook on the Middle East Economy. Edited by Hassan Hakimian; London: Routledge (forthcoming, 2020).
- Environmental Challenges in the MENA Region: The Long Road from Conflict to Cooperation. Edited by Hamid Pouran and Hassan Hakimian, London: The Gingko Library. (Forthcoming, 2019).
- ‘De las rentas del petroleo al crecimiento inclusivo: lecciones aprendidas de la region MENA. Awraq 15 (2018), pp 125-148.
- ‘Can Trump’s Sanctions Break Iran?’ Project Syndicate, Op-Ed, 3 September 2018.
- Iran and the Global Economy: Petro Populism, Islam and Economic Sanctions (co-edited with Parvin Alizadeh), London: Routledge.
- ‘GCC Economic Integration: Fiction or Reality?’ Khamsoon (2015 with Abdulla Abdulaal), pp. 1-8.
- ‘Jobs for the young? The GCC employment policy dilemmas,’ with Abdulla Abdulaal, Middle East in London, vol. 10, no. 5, Oct-Nov 2104, pp. 7-8.
- Hakimian, Hassan and Said, Mona and Karshenas, Masood and Alami, Randa (2014) ‘Inclusive Growth in MENA: Employment and Poverty Dimensions in a Comparative Context’, Marseille: FEMISE.
- Iran’s Free Trade Zones: Back Doors to the International Economy?’ Iranian Studies, 44 (6), November 2011, pp. 851-74.
There are no Upcoming Events
By Hassan Hakimian, Director of the London Middle East Institute