Areas of Interest:
- Economic Development
- Political Economy
- Ph.D., Economics, University of California, 1983
- M.A., Economics, American University in Cairo, 1980
- B.A., Economics, American University in Cairo, 1978
- Vice President of the World Bank for the Middle East and North Africa, World Bank-Present
- Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution, Feb. 2012
- Assistant Director General, Economic and Social Development, FAO, Nov.2007-Feb.2012
- Country Director for Nigeria- Africa Region, World Bank, 2004-2007
- “The Arab Spring Five Years Later: Toward Greater Inclusiveness” Volumes 1 and 2, (2016), Brookings Institution Press: Washington, D.C.
- “Agriculture and Rural Development for Inclusive Growth and Food Security in Morocco” (20151) Global Economy Working Paper No. 74, The Brookings Institution: Washington, D.C.
- “Arab Youth: Missing Educational Foundations for a Productive Life?” (2014) Center for Universal Education at Brookings, The Brookings Institution Washington, D.C. with Liesbet Steer and Maysa Jalbout.
- “Improving Rural and Regional Development for Inclusive Growth in Egypt” (2014) Global Economy Working Paper No. 67, The Brookings Institution: Washington, D.C.
- “Egypt’s Difficult Transition: Why the International Economy Must Stay Economically Engaged” (2014) Global Economy Working Paper No. 66, The Brookings Institution: Washington, D.C.
- After the Spring: Economic Transitions in The Arab World (2012). Oxford University Press, New York. With Homi Kharas, Raj Desai and others.
There are no Upcoming Events
P. Economic Systems O1. Economic Development
By Hafez Ghanem, Vice President of the World Bank for the