Areas of Interest:
- Development Economics
- Labor Economics
- Economics of Energy
- Ph.D., Economics, Harvard University, 1977
- M.A., Economics, Harvard University, 1974
- Professor, Department of Economics, Virginia Tech, 2001-present
- Kuwait Foundation Visiting Scholar, Harvard Kennedy School
- Non-resident Senior Fellow, Global Economy and Development, the Brookings
- Research Associate, Dubai Initiative, John F. Kennedy School of Government,
- Visiting Professor, Institute for Research in Planning and Development, Tehran, Iran, Jan.2001-Aug.2001
- Chair, Department of Economics, Virginia Tech, 1996-2000
- “Human Development in the Middle East and North Africa,” The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, in S N. Durlauf and L. E. Blume (Eds.). London: Palgrave Macmillan, March 2016.
- “The reform of energy subsidies in Iran: the role of cash transfers,” with Bryce Stucki and Joshua Deutschmann, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 51(6), 1144-1162, 2015.
- “Inequality of opportunity in educational achievement in the Middle East and North Africa,” with Nadia Belhaj-Hassine and Ragui Assaad, Journal of Economic Inequality, 12(4) 489-515, 2014.
- “Rethinking human development in the Middle East and North Africa: The Missing
Dimensions,” Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, 14(3), 341-370, 2013.
- “Inequality of opportunity in child health in the Arab World and Turkey,” with R. Assaad,
C. Kraft, N. Belhaj-Hassine, Middle East Development Journal, 4(2), pp. 3-40, 2012.
- “From Health Service Delivery to Family Planning: The Changing Impact of Health
Clinics on Fertility in Rural Iran,” with Ali Hashemi, Economic Development and Cultural
Change, 61(2), 281-309, 2013.
There are no Articles found