Call for Panels – Guidelines for Submission
Submission deadline: – June 30, 2019
The organizing committee welcomes submissions for panel discussion as part of the ERF Annual Conference program to encourage cross-fertilization and collaboration, to broaden the agenda, and to encourage broader thinking and engagement of topics of pertinence to the ERF community.
- Panel proposals should not exceed five pages, or 2500 words. They should highlight the importance and relevance of the topics, elaborate on the storyline linking the papers and provide an abstract for each paper in the proposed panel
- Papers presented in each panel should be original academic papers that share a common theme and very policy relevant
- The submission should include details of the speakers and moderator, their CVs and a relevant JEL classification for the panel topics
- All papers presented at the panel will be considered for publication as ERF Working Papers
- Book Launches or Book reviews by ERF Research Fellows could be considered as panels subject to time slots and space.
- Novelty of the topic(s) proposed
- Policy relevance to the MENA region
- Interdisciplinary topics to be encouraged (such as law and economics, health and economics, environment and economics, data science and economics)
- Topics that are related to more than one ERF country
- Topics that link at least one country in the ERF region to some non-ERF countries or regions
- Subject to merit, panels that promote regional and gender balance as well as cross fertilization across generations and countries will be favourably considered.
Proposals addressing the following topics are encouraged
- Digital connectivity
- Refugees, displacement and repatriation
- Role of financial systems in fostering inclusive regional development
- Cities, urbanization and urban development
- Water, agriculture, climate change and sustainable development
Format and organisation
- Each panel should ideally be between an hour an half and two hours in total
- A minimum of three papers and a maximum of four papers aided by an experienced moderator from within the team
- The format should encourage interaction rather than formal and long presentations. Here the emphasis is on brevity and debate plus interaction from the floor
- Moderators will be provided with clear guidelines about the format and be asked to coordinate and plan their panels beforehand very closely with ERF
- The panels are encouraged to include an approach paper framing the issues, taking stock of existing literature, highlighting knowledge gaps and key research questions. The other papers could be case studies or topic specific analysis.
Timetable and deadlines
The deadline for submitting paper proposals is June 30, 2019, and selected applicants will be informed by August 15, 2019. Final papers are due by November 21, 2019. January 1, 2020: Notification of acceptance of papers for presentation.
SUBMIT PROPOSAL ONLINE
For further inquiries, please contact Hoda Azmi, Conference & Logistics Manager, ERF, at 21 Al-Sad Al-Aaly Street, Dokki, Giza, Egypt. Fax (+202) 333 18 604; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org