The IMF has opened a Senior Resident Representative office in Cairo, Egypt, and is seeking a highly-qualified Economist to join its team, preferably starting in late October 2017. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on United Nations standards and benefits including health insurance, vacation, and an enriching working environment. The Economist will report directly to the Senior Resident Representative. The goals of the IMF office in Egypt are to provide advice to the Egyptian authorities, strengthen the relationship between Egypt and the IMF, keep headquarters informed of key developments, and conduct outreach. We believe in teamwork, integrity, and excellence in work output.
Main Areas of Work
- Economic monitoring, analysis, and evaluation: Keeping abreast of economic and related political developments and policies via research, media monitoring, data collection, analyses, and reporting on the entire economic arena (including real, fiscal, monetary, external, financial, and structural sectors). Identify issues for discussion, assist and advise the Senior Resident Representative on key issues, and prepare analytical notes, presentations, and speeches as needed.
- Information management and sharing: Providing the HQ country team with complete, accurate, and current country information by way of updated databases, timely response to internal requests for information, assistance to visiting mission staff with data collection and analyses. Prepare program / background notes and a variety of written and statistical outputs as requested.
- Mission support: Support HQ missions, in coordination with the Senior Resident Representative, to help as needed, keep abreast of issues, and exchange pertinent information with the authorities and the private sector.
- Outreach and relationship building: Develop effective relationships and contacts with the authorities, local think tanks, research organizations, and universities, development partners, relevant international organizations, private sector, and other stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in Economics with experience in economic policy issues and data analysis. Master’s degree is acceptable in these related fields: macro-/micro-economics, financial economics, international economics, monetary economics, public finance, econometrics, labor economics, political economy, or international trade and finance.
- Proven strong conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills
- Proficiency in statistical and econometrics techniques using Excel and/or econometrics packages such as Stata, Eviews, TSP, AREMOS, SAS, RATS, etc.
- Fluent in Arabic and English (oral and written) and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent personal and interpersonal skills: high level of personal and professional integrity, self-starter, ability to function well in a multi- cultural environment, ability to communicate tactfully, results-oriented personality with proven problem-solving skills and ability to produce with limited supervision.
It is envisaged that this position will be filled with an Egyptian National as the IMF does not provide support to obtain or renew work permits.
If your profile matches the above job description and are excited to work with the IMF, please send your resume and a statement of interest to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with subject line “Egypt Senior Res Rep Office” by October 22, 2017. Candidates shortlisted for further consideration will be contacted shortly afterwards.